We invite all institutions that use NSSE to participate in the administration of the Faculty Survey of Student Engagement. FSSE handles all aspects of survey administration, including invitations, follow-up messages, delivery of the online survey, compilations of data, and analysis of results.
- FSSE will be administered each spring at participating bachelor's-granting colleges and universities.
- In order to administer FSSE, an institution must be either concurrently enrolled in NSSE or have administered NSSE the previous year.
- Institutions must agree to the terms of the Institutional Participation Agreement in order to administer FSSE.
- Each institution provides the names and e-mail addresses of its selected sample of instructional staff (faculty, instructors, and/or graduate students who teach) who will teach at least one undergraduate course in the academic year of administration.
- Customization options include a selection of topical modules, the addition of FSSE consortium questions that parallel NSSE consortium or system questions, and customization of disciplines to complement NSSE major groupings.
- Instructional staff responses to the survey remain confidential to their institution, and graduate student responses are directly identifiable.
For information about licensing FSSE items, send a message to email@example.com. Use of the copyrighted FSSE survey without permission is prohibited.
The timeline below approximates the general activities of the 12-month cycle. Check our Deadlines section for more specific deadlines and important dates.
Summer (June through August)
- Participating schools register online for the upcoming survey cycle
- Institutional Reports from the previous survey cycle are delivered to last year's FSSE participants:
- Customized reports of faculty, instructor, and/or graduate student responses;
- A report based on instructional staff and student participation in effective educational practices;
- A report of instructional staff responses by disciplinary area;
- A data file of instructional staff responses; and
- An overview of the previous year's participating institutions and respondents
Fall (September - December)
Materials preparation (e.g., customized survey invitation, population file) occupies attention between September and December. FSSE participants submit materials and FSSE staff review and process materials for the spring administration. Materials processing can be lengthy, and FSSE staff will communicate with FSSE participants regularly throughout this period to resolve questions and issues on materials.
- Pre-survey announcement (optional) and Invitation messages are customized
- Population files are submitted to FSSE staff
- Survey customization options are chosen
- Annual Results from the previous survey cycle are sent to last year's FSSE participants
Winter (December - early January)
- Academic calendars are submitted and message schedule is created
- Mailing lists for the survey messages are created from population files
- Technical considerations relating to third party Web-survey administration are discussed with campus IT contacts
Spring (late January - May)
- FSSE administrations begin in early March (depending on previously created schedule)
- Response rate is monitored by participating institutions and FSSE staff
- FSSE closes June 1 (alongside NSSE)